EXCLUSIVE: “Maybe Govinda misunderstood that I offered him Gadar: Ek Prem Katha,” reveals Anil Sharma

Director Anil Sharma’s Gadar 2 has become a blockbuster. Starring Sunny Deol, Ameesha Patel and Utkarsh Sharma in pivotal roles, the film continued the story from the first film Gadar: Ek Prem Katha (2001), which had the same cast. It is interesting to know how the first few scenes of the film were thought of. For the unversed, the starting portions of the 2001 film showed how Sakeena (Ameesha) and her family, including her father Ashraj Ali (Amrish Puri), were forced to leave India during the Partition of 1947.

Narrating the same, Anil Sharma told Bollywood Hungama exclusively, “We were looking for a starting point, but we weren’t getting it. We were searching for a real story. So Shaktimaan ji (film’s writer) narrated the story of his father-in-law, who had also come to India during the partition. After listening to him, I said, ‘Shakti ji, we have found the opening of the film.’ I gave a different angle to his father-in-law’s story and thought about the film’s opening part.”

Sharma also cleared the air on the rumours about Govinda being offered the role of Tara Singh first. “He (Sunny) was the only choice. Govinda ji wasn’t a choice. I had done Maharaja with him. Once I was just giving him a narration (of Gadar). He said he won’t like to do a film on such a story as it’s about Hindu and Muslim. I told him that I am doing it with Sunny Deol. But maybe he had this misunderstanding that I offered him the film. But he was also a good choice. He was a superstar in that era. He was not a bad choice,” said Sharma.

He added, “But somehow in my mind I wanted a Punjabi jatt, which could have only been Sunny Deol. I always wanted him for the role, and I took him only.”

Also Read: EXCLUSIVE: Gadar 2 director Anil Sharma believed Ameesha Patel was “weak at acting”; says, “Thoda sa attitude, ek ada hai unme jo kabhi kabhi tedhi-medhi ho jaati hai”



from Featured Movie News | Featured Bollywood News - Bollywood Hungama https://ift.tt/wutIkEC

Post a Comment

0 Comments